Bethlehem (October 17, 2019)- Senator Lisa Boscola (D-Lehigh/Northampton) announced today that $251,884.81 in competitive 2019-20 Safe Schools Targeted grants were awarded in the 18th Senatorial District through the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s Office for Safe Schools.
“These grants will provide important equipment and program materials to ensure safe schools here in the Lehigh Valley and throughout the Commonwealth,” Boscola stated. “We have made assisting our school districts in ensuring a safe learning environment for our children and our educators a priority and these grant awards will aid in those efforts,” she added.
The following Public School Entities were approved for grants:
- Catasauqua Area School District: $24,941 Equipment Grant
- Whitehall-Coplay School District: $9,000 Equipment Grant
- Bethlehem Area School District: $24,990 Equipment Grant
- Northampton Area School District: $25,000 Equipment Grant & $20,000 Program Grant
- Career Institute of Technology: $25,000 Equipment Grant
In accordance with Act 18 of 2019, the Department of Education also awarded grants to the following nonpublic schools:
- St. Thomas More School: $22,500 Equipment Grant
- The Swain School: $22,497.67 Equipment Grant
- Holy Infancy: $25,000 Equipment Grant
- Notre Dame Elementary: $24,548.57 Equipment Grant
- Notre Dame Junior Senior High School: $24,548.57 Equipment Grant
- Saint Elizabeth: $3,859 Program Grant
The Safe Schools Targeted grants program aims to assist schools in:
- Reducing unnecessary student disciplinary actions and promoting an environment of greater productivity, safety, and learning; and
- Enhancing anti-violence efforts between schools and parents, local governments, law enforcement and community organizations.